- ½ Cup Oil or Melted Shortening
- ½ Cup White Sugar
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ Cup Cocoa dissolved in a little water to make a paste
- ½ Cup Sour Milk (add 1 tsp. vinegar to milk to make sour)
- 1 ½ Cup Flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup nuts (optional)
- 1 cup steamed raisins, with liquid (when using liquid, add ½ cup more flour)
- Cream shortening, sugars, egg, and vanilla, then add dry ingredients, alternating the milk and dry ingredients. The original recipe doesn’t mention when to add the cocoa paste, but logically it might be good to add to the creaming process for the sugars.
- Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes.